Sunday, June 21, 2009

15 to 20 Sunbeams!

Our ward has three sunbeam classes. I think there are probably 10 kids in each class, but probably 5 to 8 in each class show up each week. Anyway, sharing time in primary has been difficult with so many sunbeams, therefore the primary presidency has the sunbeams leave and have their own sharing time in a different room. People in the ward sign up to teach these sharing times. I signed up the Relief Society Presidency to teach one and today was our turn. My 1st counselor, Lacey, and I taught them about repentance. We know all of the sunbeams since Lacey has a sunbeam and I teach a lot of them in my preschool or soccer camps. I just have to say that I love 3 year olds! They are so adorable and innocent. They really just want to do what is right. And I must say that some of them are real wigglers, but Lacey and I did a fantastic job at holding their attention. We told them a story about a little girl who stole a candy from the store, but felt bad after she ate it. She told her mom and they went back to the store and paid for the candy with money from the little girls piggy bank. We had the kids play pretend and act out the scenario. This was our way of giving them a candy because it directly pertained to the lesson! So they each got a starburst, ate it, and then pretended to feel bad, and then go through the steps to rectify the situation and then pray and repent. The kids were so cute. Some of them didn't want to eat the candy because they knew it was bad in real life to steal a candy. We also told them about Enos praying in the wilderness and repenting. And, of course we had an object lesson which Lacey is famous for. She is Jack and Cora's piano teacher and she always has these fun science experiments she does with them too. For the object lesson she sprinkled pepper all over a plate of water. The water was us all clean and pure. The pepper represented how we look when we sin. Then she covered her finger in dish soap and touched her finger into the water. It instantly repels all of the pepper to the outskirts of the water. The dish soap was the repentance process that makes us clean again. It was was all very fun. Relief Society is so essential, and I know I am serving where I am needed, but my heart and strengths will always be with those junior primary children. (Wish I had a picture to share, but who takes their camera to church?)

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! I am so happy to get to check in on your family now. I linked your blog to mine- I hope you don't mind. I hope you keep up the great posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Cheryl. You didn't tell me you were blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas and I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog looks great and I'm so excited to keep up with you better. Great idea for a lesson for sunbeams too.

    ReplyDelete